I am taking Brand Identity | Creating an Image at SVA (School of Visual Art) this spring semester taught by Anita Zeppetelli. This is first week’s lecture about Basic Branding.
What is a brand?
- An image / Personality of a company
- An experience
- A relationship with the customer
- An emotional connection
- It stands for something and demonstrates it consistently everyday
- A visual perception of a company
- An asset of a company
- Deliver clear message
- Confirms credibility
- Motivates buyers
- Creates loyalty
- Build a company and affects business
When do you need a brand?
- New company, new product
- Name change
- Revitalize brand (take the company to the next level)
- Create an integrated system (look and feel)
- When companies merge
Phase I : Brand Strategy
- Fact Finding : Getting to know your client from interviews, clarify vision, strategies, goals and values, research and analysis, and strategic branding position
- Creative Brief
- Naming : Is a new name required?
- Brand Architecture : Visual and hierarchy of brand products
Phase II : Creative Expression
- Brand Expression : Turning brand strategy into visual form (mood board brings brand positioning and personality to life)
- Design Expression : Logo, symbol, and wordmark
- Creative Expression : Marketing applications
- Brand Identity Guidelines : Corporate Identity
What defines great logo?
- Practical (color or gradient or black and white, small or large, budget wise)
- Simple in Form - Less is more
- One message